Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Graveshadow Interview


1.       For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Ben: We all have a lot of varied influences, and although we have some core influences, it’s the mix of backgrounds that really define our sound…plus weed.

2.       So far you have released an EP and have your first full length coming out in November, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings?

Valerie: The EP set the tone for the heavier elements that we draw influence from where as the album has a more dynamic and ethereal sound that lends itself much more to storytelling.

3.       What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Will: The lyrics are very varied, but the core of our content is telling stories. I’m a very big nerd and took a lot of influence form Dr. Who, Game of Thrones and the Warcraft universe. At the same time though we like to share a bit of ourself in our lyrics as well. “Namesake” is about some of the emotional problems I dealt with after my grandfather died and living up to his name seeing as how I’m named after him.

4.       What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Graveshadow?

Roman: Well, we got really drunk one Halloween in a cemetery. I passed out for a few hours and when I woke up the first thing I saw was a shadow from a nearby grave across my legs….I brought it up at the next rehearsal and the rest is history.

5.       What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Matt: I would say for sure that out best show was opening for Apocalyptica at Ace of Spades. The crowd that night was nothing short of incredible. A smaller show we played at Blue Lamp where our sound was just so dialed in that it really came through well.

As far as our performance is concerned, it’s important that we have a lot of room haha. With so many people the room really allow us to go full bore and bring the crowd into the fold. In a word: electrifying.

6.       Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Will: We will definitely be playing shows, focusing more on regional and select ones in our home town. Touring is on the horizon, we have some irons in the fire we aren’t at liberty to discuss right now, but if all goes well, next year is going to be amazing!

7.       On one of the tracks you have the singer of Primal Fear adding in some vocals, can you tell us a little bit more about his contribution to the recording?

    Heather: Ralf was a delight to work with. I did write the lyrics and melodies that he performed but he absolutely brought the power like only he is able to. All around a very kind and respectful individual, very happy that we had the chance to work with him

8.       On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of symphonic metal?

Matt: Overwhelmingly positive. It’s been an honor to be included on a varierty of radio programs both in the US and in Europe that have led to digital purchases of our EP. We’re looking forward to when we’re able to take this show across the pond.

9.       Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Heather: Absolutely more vocal layering in recording. The guys have talked about incorporating more doomier elements while maintaining the melody we have now.  It’s hard to say, the symphonic element will always be there but we enjoy mixing various styles of metal. You can expect a healthy dose of both beauty and chaos in future material.

10.   What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Valerie: The biggest influences for me have been Tori Amos and Nightwish. I still listen to them pretty frequently but I’m starting to branch out into slower and heavier music like Type O Negative.

Ben: I’ve always wanted to be in a band like Led Zeppelin, I really like how the had the freedom to do heavy riffs with softer melodies, which speaks to me on a deeply creative. I listen to a lot of modern metal like Epica and try to mix that with my early influences.

Heather: There are three vocalists that I have to give credit to as far as influence are concerned: Brittney Hayes of Unleash the Archers, Stu Block’s work with Into Eternity and Lizzy Hale of Halestorm. With out them, I wouldn’t be the vocalist I am today. Lately I’ve been listening to Devin Townsend and Disforia.

Matt: My two greatest influences are Metallica and Black Sabbath. Currently I’ve been listening to a lot of Anthrax and Rancid for rhythm ideas. While they’re not symphonic, it does help me hone into the symphonic sound of Graveshadow.

Roman: My greatest influences are Dave Lombardo, Johnny Kelly from Type O Negative, Bill Ward and Gas Lipstick from HIM. As far as what I’ve been listening I really dig on 80s metal. But really I bounce around between a lot of different genres from classic rock, black metal, doom….you know, random shit.

Will: My background is in punk and thrash. Early influences were bands like Extinction of Mankind, Toxic Narcotic, Iron Maiden and Amon Amarth. I’ve been listening to a lot of Opeth lately, as well as bands like Sabaton and Iced Earth.

11.   What are some of your non musical interests?

Heather: Kitties…um….I really love cats haha, but I love the Zelda games too. There’s also Netflix binges on Futurama, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed and Stark Trek.

Roman: I like to ride my motorcycle, skateboarding, I have an unhealthy obsession with Trailer Park Boys but I also really like to get outdoors and do things camp or go to the river.

Valerie: I really, really enjoy dogs, their honestly most of life. I also love travel and going to live shows.

Ben: The past few years I’ve gotten really into nutrition and fitness. Working at a nursery has allowed me to start getting into gardening, especially carnivorous plants.

Matt: Beer and my dog, traveling with my wife, horror movies, going to shows and just enjoying a night with my friends.

Will: I mentioned earlier that I’m a huge nerd, I love playing video games. Skyrim, Final Fantasy VII or IX, Dishonored and World of Warcraft have been my poison lately. I love mead and binging Netflix shows like Parks and Rec, Dr. Who, South Park and the X-Files. 

12.   Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Will: First, thank you for taking the time to talk with us today. Honestly, just that we’re so thankful for the support that we’ve gotten from the metal community. Anyone who’s come to a show, bought an album or merch, you are the reason we do this and we can’t thank you enough. Keep an eye out for the album release and we’ll see you at the next show!

No comments:

Post a Comment